The Polldubh Club Links Page
The emphasis here is on relevant voluntary/conservation-type organisations and sources of information for climbers, with more commercial operations (shops etc.) only featured where considered to be of very clear interest. Suggestions for further appropriate links are welcome, but please note that we're not offering advertising as such.
The links are described where possible by quoting from the featured sites, on which note we also acknowledge 'borrowing' the logos, which can obviously be removed or amended if their owners object to the eye-catching publicity!
Local landscape/conservation/historical interest
- The Nevis Partnership was formed in 2003 'to guide future policies and actions to safeguard, manage and where appropriate enhance the environmental qualities and opportunities for visitor enjoyment and appreciation of the Nevis area.'
- Friends of Nevis 'was launched by The Nevis Partnership on 19 February 2008 to encourage individuals, families and organisations to help support and manage Ben Nevis and the surrounding Nevis area.'
- The John Muir Trust (JMT) 'was founded in 1983 to safeguard the future of wild lands against development and to promote awareness and recognition of the value of such places.' It acquired the Ben Nevis Estate in June 2000.
- The National Trust for Scotland (NTS) 'protects and promotes Scotland's natural and cultural heritage for present and future generations to enjoy.' It owns much of Glen Coe including eight Munro summits.
- 'The role of Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) is to look after the natural heritage, help people to enjoy and value it, and encourage people to use it sustainably.'
- 'The aim of Lochaber Geopark is to raise awareness of the extraordinary story behind the formation of the local landscape.'
- There is a short article about Jimmy Ness and his involvement in Heatherhat Productions' 2007 'Polldubh' film on the BBC website, and Friends of Nevis have a video about the Polldubh tree-felling work on YouTube.
Local facilities and suppliers normally offering discounts to Club Members
- 'As well as being the biggest indoor ice climbing facility in the world, The Ice Factor features the UK's largest articulated rock climbing wall and a competition-standard bouldering hall, making it the perfect place to practise, train and learn every conceivable mountaineering skill.'
- Ellis Brigham Mountain Sports have also kindly indicated support for The Polldubh Club and offer discounts at their Fort William store.
- Nevisport's Fort William store is 'where it [Nevisport] all started back in 1970', offers discounts to Club Members and is also home to the bar that saw the founding of The Polldubh Club in April 2009! :-)
Mountain weather/avalanche information
Representative/governing bodies and qualifications
- 'Founded in 1970 by the Association of Scottish Climbing Clubs, The Mountaineering Council of Scotland (MCofS) is THE only recognised representative organisation for mountain walkers and climbers who live in Scotland or who enjoy Scotlands mountains. [It is] also the national governing body for sport climbing and represent[s] climbers who use indoor walls as their venue.'
- Mountain Training's 'aim is to educate and train people in walking, climbing and mountaineering. To make this a reality, we have developed a range of nationally-recognised mountain leadership, instruction and coaching awards, as well as skills courses.'
- The British Association of Ski Patrollers (BASP) has 'developed a First Aid and Safety Training Scheme designed specifically for the outdoor user, drawing on the skills and experience of their Trainers, all of whom are Ski Patrollers and/or experienced rescue personnel with a wealth of mountain and first aid knowledge.'
Site Design by Petestack | Valid HTML5